Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Taste of Civilization!

   At the end of two weeks of hiking I made it to Fontana Dam, a small resort community near a hydro-electric dam at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. It was time to get another box of supplies and rest up. One of the hikers rented a cabin for the night and invited several of us to come over and spend the night. We each pitched in a few dollars to help with the cost and had the opportunity to sleep on the living room floor of the cabin! But we had indoor bathrooms, and hot showers, and could wash our cooking pots in a real sink! After two weeks in the woods, it was a welcome break. We were all resting up for what lay ahead, the Smokies! The hikers who all started on April 12th began to drift apart. Some were hiking faster, some slower. Fontana was the last place I saw several of them. Either they were leaving when I arrived, or were arriving when I left. Though we were moving at different paces, we all were working toward the same goal.
   Speaking of goals, I weighed in at 182.0 pounds again today (same as yesterday). That's ok, because I am maintaining my weight. The week ahead will be tough. I have a banquet tomorrow, a wedding rehearsal dinner the next day, and a wedding with a reception the next day. I know that fattening food will be in abundance. I will probably nibble some, but I hope to be "good" and not splurge. The journey continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment