Friday, April 29, 2011

Bears?! Did you say Bears?!!

   From Fontana Dam you can't just hike into the Smoky Mountains. First you have to stop and get a permit from the ranger on duty. He asks questions and checks your gear to make sure you have what it takes to make it through the mountains (and tells you about the rules to follow while in the park). I got my permit and started the long, long, long climb up to Shuckstack Lookout, the first mountain in the Smokies. After that it was more climbing, and more, and more.
   I stayed in shelters every night in the Smokies because it's more comfortable, and because the park rules require it. The front of the shelters have chain link fence to keep the bears out. At one shelter (I think it was Spence Field shelter), several hikers were sitting outside on a log talking to another hiker who was sitting opposite from them cooking some food. Suddenly, the whole group got up and ran to the shelter. The guy cooking the food was wondering what happened. Then he turned and saw the bear! It didn't take him long to grab his stuff and dive into the shelter. The chain link door was shut and the bear came right up to the fence. Then the bear started to climb on the fence! He still couldn't get in, so he finally gave up. He wasn't trying to eat us, he was interested in our food! Hiking the Smokies was challenging, and difficult, but worth the extra effort. The views were beautiful. And one evening I saw two wild boar on the trail. How wonderful to experience God's creation in such a powerful way!
   Today I weighed in at 182.6 pounds (which means I put on 0.6 pounds). Bad eating and not enough exercise is to blame. I wish I could say the rest of the day went well, but I ate way too much (especially at the banquet this evening). Oh well, I will keep on trying. Tomorrow is another day. I'm still about 4 pounds lighter than when I started. And hey, my pants are starting to fit looser than they usually do. Now that is progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment