Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Opposite of Love & Kindness

   When I pulled into Wesser, NC there was a family hiking north (husband, wife, and 9 year-old son). They were hiking the trail as a publicity stunt, sending out press releases every time they got into a town. I heard that they published a book about the trip, but I never read it. After Sassafras Gap, I continued north and caught up with this family at another shelter. It was a strange encounter.
   The dad bragged about the book they would write. Then he said the next stunt was for this son and another son (who wasn't on this trip for some reason) would ride a bicycle built for two across America. I have also biked across America, and I doubt that they ever did it. The dad seemed more interested in getting rich and famous than being a dad.
   As light faded, the dad sent the 9 year-old to the spring to fetch water. He was treating his son more like a servant than a family member. Then it happened. The words that have stayed with me all these years. The dad looked at me, grinned, and said, "Watch this." Now speaking to the son he said, "watch out for bandits!" and burst into laughter. As the terrified son walked into the dark woods to fetch the water, the dad said to me, "he is scared of bandits."
   It angers me to this day how poorly that man treated his child. It is always wrong to verbally abuse and frighten a child. How that poor child made it through that abuse, I don't know. I heard much later that the family with the son did finish the entire Appalachian Trail. But what was the cost? I hope and pray that the dad had a change of heart and quit abusing his child. That child would be about 40 years old today. So, if you are reading this now, know that what happened to you was wrong and it wasn't your fault. The adults in your life should have protected you, not terrorized you.
   My little project of losing weight seems small in comparison to what happened 31 years ago. But for those of you keeping track, today I weighed in at 182.0 pounds which is more than a pound less than yesterday. Pray for all the children who are verbally abused by parents, family members, or others. Help as many as you can, show them true love and kindness every chance you get. It can make a difference!

1 comment: