Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cold in the Smokies!

   Hiking in the Smokies was a great experience. In 1977 I did a hike through the park, but that was in July. In 1980 I didn't expect the cold weather in late April! It was cold!! I put on every stitch of clothing I had and was still cold. I took extra wool socks and put them on my hands as improvised gloves. When I left on the trip I had one freeze-dried backpacker meal in my pack as an extra "emergency" food source. The package says "serves two", but the package lies. I ate my regular supper and that whole freeze-dried meal, just to get enough calories to stay warm. Did I mention there was also snow on the ground? I was up high, higher than 5,500 feet (which is higher than the tallest mountain in Georgia). The next day I would take on Clingman's Dome, the highest place on the entire Appalachian Trail at 6,643 feet. But for that night, I snuggled into my sleeping bag (fully dressed to keep off the cold) and tried to get some rest.
   All this talk of eating reminds me of the rehearsal dinner last night. The food was sure good, but I weighed in at 182.6 pounds this morning. I will try to be good at the wedding as far as eating goes, but it is a special occasion for my nephew Drew and his bride Ellen. If I can just break even on weight for this weekend then I can keep working on losing more on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment