Friday, April 29, 2011

Judging Pete

   One night in the Smokies I met Pete Montgomery from Pennsylvania. My first impression of Pete was how skinny he was. The second impression was how huge his pack was. Pete was carrying a camera, tripod, and a bunch of other photography gear (in addition to all the regular backpacking stuff). We met at a shelter and he was very discouraged. Pete misread a marker on the trail and accidentally followed a side trail that went down, down, down, down, down! By the time Pete realized his mistake, he had to turn around and hike up, up, up, up, up, up, up with that heavy pack! He had spent most of the day hiking hard and only made a few miles.
   Pete was a really nice guy. I enjoyed talking with him and getting to know him. But I really thought to myself, "this guy is never going to make it to Maine." Of course I was of the wise old age of 18 which allowed me to come to this opinion. Judging people is not a good thing to do. I left Pete behind and pressed forward, but I didn't know something. I didn't know how wrong I was about Pete.
   Losing weight can be a frustrating experience, kind of like Pete's side trip down the wrong trail. Some days you lose weight, some days you gain, some days you are even. I did get frustrated with my eating yesterday, there was just too much good stuff at the banquet (especially desserts). Do you know why "dessert" has the letter "s" twice? Because you always want to have two helpings of dessert (like I did last night). I went jogging this morning to try and redeem myself from splurging last night. Today I weighed in at 182.2 pounds which is a slight improvement over yesterday. How did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment