Monday, May 9, 2011

Walking with Spring!

   Most people who hike the entire Appalachian Trail start in Georgia and hike to Maine. The reason for this is because of the weather. I started in 1980 on April 12th, the beginning of spring in Georgia. As I walked North, Spring followed me. The only place I went back into "winter" was in the Smokies. But everywhere else I was "walking with Spring". The trees were budding, the flowers were blooming, the weather was just warm enough during the day and a bit chilly at night. Every step North I saw nature come back to life after winter. While most people think about the fantastic views from the mountaintops (and there were many), most of the time was spent in the quiet of the woods with the trees, plants, rocks, and wildlife. It was a peaceful journey.
   This morning (in 2011) I weighed in at 182.4 pounds. After four weeks I have lost over four pounds. At that constant rate, I will reach my target weight of 165 by the end of this journey. Last night I had a steak & potato along with a big chunk of watermellon. It was Mother's day and that's what my wife wanted. I was pleased that I didn't put on any weight, but actually lost some vs. yesterday. Tonight I will have a big salad for supper. You don't have to starve in order to lose weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment