Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A cup of (ice cold) water in Jesus' name!

   The Appalachian Trail goes through North Carolina and Tennessee, often following close to the border between those two states. From time to time, the trail crosses major rivers. In 1980 I remember being in Tennessee and having to cross a big river. The trail went right over a large bridge then turned to follow a road parallel to the river. There was a small town at the river crossing and I hoped to be able to get some ice cream or at least a cold drink. But I didn't see a gas station or convenience store anywhere. I'm sure there was one somewhere in town, but I didn't want to hike out of the way to try and find it.
   As I walked down the paved road, I passed several houses. I realized that I would soon be leaving civilization and cutting back into the woods. I also realized that my water bottle was very low. I saw a house with a water hose next to the front porch. I was tempted to get the water quietly and not let anyone know, but I knew that wouldn't be right. I also didn't want to come face to face with someone's shotgun (after all, this is Tennessee!) So, I knocked on the door and politely asked if I could fill my large mouthed water bottle with water from the hose. The woman at the door looked at me for a moment and asked if I was thirsty. Yes, I replied. She reached out and took my water bottle and told me to wait. The door shut. I waited.
   When the door re-opened the woman held out my water bottle, filled to the brim with ice and water. As I reached for it, she held on to the bottle, looked me in the eye and said, "I give you this water in Jesus' name." I thanked her and left. water out of a hose is much different from ice cold water (with ice) straight from the kitchen! It's been 31 years, but I still remember the woman who made Mark 9:41 real to me: "I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward."
   This morning I weighed in at 181.4 pounds, great progress! After 29 days I am about 1/4th of the way to my goal of 165 pounds. I realize that I may gain some, then lose some over and over. But I am still making progress. I think I will celebrate by drinking some ice cold water!

No comments:

Post a Comment