Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The project starts!

On April 12, 1980 I started on the adventure of a lifetime. I climbed to the top of Springer Mountain and started hiking the Appalachian Trail. That was 31 years ago today. I was 18 then, now I am 49. Back then I was a "bean pole" weighing in at about 135 pounds. As of this morning I weighed 186.8 pounds. That's why I decided, if I can hike the Appalachian Trail, certainly I can get down to a healthy, sustainable weight of 165. That's why I call this "the A.T. 31st Anniversary Project". Every day I will try to keep you up to date on how I am losing weight--what works and what doesn't work. Of course I ate a huge lunch today & am almost late for a meeting where there will be lots of snacks....so I'm probably getting off to a slow start.
That first day on the Appalachian Trail it was drizzling rain. My dad said, "are you sure you want to set out in this weather?"
I replied, "you have to walk in the rain sometime!" and off I went.
So, for better or for worse, here I go on another "adventure" to get rid of this "spare tire" and get healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, Tommy! I wish you the best and am so envious of your ambition. Perhaps someday I'll learn to get out of my recliner!

    ReplyDelete