Saturday, April 16, 2011

Not like everyone else!

   It didn't take long on the Appalachian Trail to realize that I'm still not a morning person. In the mornings I would often wake up in the morning in one of the shelters to the roaring sound of a backpacking stove. Sometimes there would be two, three, or even four of those little stoves heating up breakfast for hungry hikers. By the time everyone had their food cooked and the last stove was turned off, the silence was amazing! I was usually the last to leave a shelter in the morning and usually the last to arrive at a shelter in the evening. Getting a bit of a later start didn't bother me at all. I covered the same ground as every other hiker. I didn't have to be like everyone else.
   So who says that I have to lose weight like everyone else? I've decided not to starve myself because it will just make me "pig out" later. I'm cutting back on some of what I eat, but I'm still going to eat good stuff! Last night I was tempted and ate one (just one!) chocolate chip cookie. I didn't toss and turn all night worrying about what that one cookie would do. This morning I weighed in at 185.2 pounds. It's only 0.2 pounds but it is still progress! I'm trying to stay away from all desserts and sweets, but I'm sure I will have some along the way.
   This morning I got up early and did a community service project called "Hands on Henry" (our county is Henry County). We put markers on storm drains in neighborhoods. We did drive most of the way, but I had to jog up the road sometimes. It was good exercise and burned some calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment