Friday, April 15, 2011

Hiking alone and together

   A lot of people asked me if I hiked the Appalachian Trail with someone else or alone. The answer is "yes". I did not have an official hiking partner, but I often hiked with other people that I met along the way. We all started in Georgia and were headed to Maine. The first week was really a "shake down" week. It was a time to get used to hiking. I only averaged about 10 miles per day, but that was enough for starters. Most of us who started on April 12 were keeping the same schedule. And it was still raining most of the time every day. At the end of the day we all crammed into one of the shelters along the trail to eat, rest, and try to dry out.
   Last night I ate a big salad with a little bit of fajita meat on top for supper, and I worked for a couple of hours in the garden hoeing weeds and planting seeds. This morning I weighed in at 185.4 pounds. I guess all the garden work was worth the sweat!
   Starting a blog to talk about losing weight doesn't sound exciting to some people. After all, losing weight is a personal thing. It's something that I am doing by myself. But by blogging about it, other people are able to join me on part or all of the journey, just like hiking the A.T. Thanks for walking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment