Friday, July 22, 2011

What Happens When You Get High!

   Hiking through Connecticut was nice. The trail goes through the western part of the state (away from the suburbs and big cities). It was hot, but not nearly as hot as what I was used to in Georgia. I actually enjoyed hiking with the "Canadian Crawler". But, all good things must come to an end. One day the Canadian Crawler left earlier than I did. I caught up with him when he had his lunch break, but he got ahead of me again when I stopped for lunch.
   In the late afternoon I began climbing up a mountain. The trail snaked back and forth up the side of the mountain (the technical term is "switchbacks"). After a lot of effort and sweat I was rewarded with a nice view from the summit and a breeze. I enjoyed it for a little while and then decided to press on. I knew by the end of the day I would enter Massachusetts!
   I descended the other side of the mountain, following the switchbacks downhill (much easier than uphill!). When I reached the bottom, the trail was level for a while. That's where I saw the Canadian Crawler. He was very upset. His camera was missing! When he was on the top of the mountain he stopped and took some pictures. Then he smoked some "weed". Apparently he left his camera sitting on the top of the mountain. Did I happen to pick it up and bring it? No. Had I seen it?  No.
   The last time I saw the Canadian Crawler he had stashed his backpack near the trailside and was backtracking up the mountain to locate the missing camera. I have heard that smoking "weed" impairs your memory, this was a classic case of not remembering! I'm glad I never tried smoking it. The only "high" I wanted to get was in elevation on the top of mountains! I pressed on and crossed the Massachusetts state line. It was time to carve another notch on my hiking staff! Mt. Katahdin in Maine was getting closer every day!

   2011 update:  This morning I weighed in at 170.4 pounds. Jogging, trying to eat right, not starving myself, all of these things have added up. I go to a training seminar today which will last until Tuesday. I have no idea what kind of food they will feed us, but I will try to be sensible in what I eat! I only have 5.4 pounds left in order to reach my goal. It's getting closer every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment