Wednesday, July 27, 2011

An Amazing Display of Splendor!

   Back in 1980 I remember climbing a mountain in Massachusetts called "Mt. Everett". One of the reasons I remember the name is because it is so similar to "Everest" (but not anywhere near as difficult). It was actually a reasonable climb. On top of the mountain was a YMCA camp, but I didn't go to it (it was on a side trail). I was up on the mountain toward the end of the day. I realized that hiking down the mountain would take a while. Then I saw a nice spot of level ground right next to the trail. It was maybe five feet wide and covered in grass. It was also perfectly level, a great place to spend the night. If you have ever tried to sleep on ground that is slanted then you know what I mean!
   The weather was clear and I decided to camp right there beside the trail. I literally could reach out with my hand from where I slept and touch the trail. Dinner was good. I settled into my sleeping bag and watched the night sky. There were no trees high up on this mountain. The sky was perfectly clear. The moon and stars were amazing. I gradually drifted off to sleep.
   Early in the morning something stirred me. I was used to camping in shelters where it was dark, or at least under trees where there was lots of shade. But this time I was awakened by light. At first it was a soft glow, muted and subtle. As I sat up and looked across the valley I saw mist curling up at the tops of the trees below. The mountains in front of me were tall and solid. The part facing me, still in deep shadow. But behind those mountains was the Sun, slowly rising in the East.
   I waited patiently as the Sun continued to bring light to the darkness. Finally it happened. The first ray of light peeked over the edge of the mountain. Over the next few minutes that tiny ray of light blossomed into a magnificent display of light! The orange and yellow and purple hues were unbelievable! Oh! Of all the sunrises that I have seen in my life, none compare with the beauty and majesty of that glorious moment! I did take a picture but it does not come close to bringing it justice.
   Slowly the Sun continued to rise, bathing my campsite in pools of light. As I ate breakfast and packed up my gear I was thankful for the amazing display of splendor. It's one of the reasons that I hiked the trail to begin with! I would see many other sunrises in my life, but I would never forget the sunrise on Mt. Everett!

   2011 update: This is the longest break I have taken from this project. I was in a training class for 5 days and did not have the opportunity to blog. I ate a lot of different meals. Now that I have returned, it's time to get back on track. This morning I weighed in at 172.4 pounds. That's about 2 pounds more than when I left for the training class. It also reminds me that my weight will fluctuate and that circumstances will happen where I don't eat as well as I should for a few days. Tomorrow I start back running. I'm still going to make my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment