Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Good Meal, A Hair Cut, & the Republican Convention!

   During the heat wave in 1980 I was glad to be at a friend's house near Bear Mountain. Bev was like a mama to me. She cooked and fussed and pampered me. I wound up staying two nights. I took a nice long shower (ahhhh!!!). All my clothes were washed (in a regular washing machine, not in a creek!) All of my cooking gear was scrubbed. The meal that was promised when we were in Tennessee was cooked (and it was delicious)! Bev's daughter was close to my age. She gave me a real hair cut (I was getting pretty shaggy).
   While I was there I remember sitting on the couch, watching tv. The Republican National Convention was being held. Some guy named Ronald Reagan was nominated as their candidate for President (I think he was an actor and then governor of California. Does that ring a bell with you?!) The guy nominated for Vice President was some other guy from Texas named George Herbert Walker Bush (he must be important, he has an extra name)! I stayed up late watching tv. When you are backpacking you don't get to watch tv. And if you stay up late you either have to build a fire or use your flashlight!
   In the morning I ate a huge breakfast of french toast. Bev drove me back to the Appalachian Trail so I could continue my journey. My foot was doing pretty good. The special foam pad in my boot was helping a lot. As Bev drove away, I waved goodbye. Then I faced North. Mt. Katahdin in Maine was still calling my name. I had had a time of refreshment, now it was time to hike some miles in the woods!

   2011 update:  This morning I weighed in at 172.6 pounds! That is 14.2 pounds lost so far! I ate a big salad at "Wings N Things" yesterday for lunch. I ate a big burrito for supper last night (at home). Yesterday I jogged. Today I have tried to take things easy. My wife & I ate at IHOP. I had the "two by two by two" meal which was only 400 calories! Just because you eat out doesn't mean that you have to get fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment