Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bandits At Night!

  By this time in 1980 I was in New Jersey.  A lot of people think that New Jersey is just one giant suburb of New York City. Yes, there are a lot of suburbs near New York, but the western portion of the state (where the Appalachian Trail passes through) is very beautiful. New Jersey's nickname is "the garden state". I was surprised at how nice the trail was and how little suburban sprawl I saw.
   I do remember one night in New Jersey in a shelter. Every night in a shelter I would hang my pack up if possible in order to keep the mice out of my pack. That night I woke to hear something rustling just outside of the shelter. I realized that we were being raided by bandits wearing masks on their faces. But the bandits were small and furry! Yes, raccoons were trying to get to our food! They had climbed down from the trees and were trying to get to our packs. One of the other hikers took a stick and threw it in their general direction. Although he didn't hit them with the stick, it did give them pause. After a while, the raccoons gave up and sauntered out into the woods. They would have to find dinner somewhere else. Our packs were safe and we were wary of the raccoons!

   Here in 2011 I weighed in today at 173.2 pounds. Our new church had a cook out tonight. I ate WAY too much. So......tomorrow I will probably weigh more. That's ok. I will keep working on my project to lose weight. I'm not giving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment