Friday, June 3, 2011

I Will Never Be The Same Again!

   The Episcopal priest in Buchanan and his wife were very gracious to have me in their home for a steak dinner back in 1980. After the meal I was able to wash my clothes in a real clothes washer. I also went into the kitchen and was able to scrub all of my cooking and eating utensils. After I finished washing my stuff I noticed that the sink area was a bit dirty. So I pulled out some Comet from under the sink and started scrubbing and cleaning. By the time I finished, the sink area was sparking clean. As I was putting my cooking stuff away, the priest's wife came through the kitchen and noticed the sink area. She was delighted and very thankful. I had to remind her that she had just fed me, and it was the least I could do in order to say "thanks".
   That night I slept like a baby in a bed with sheets in a nice soft bed. In the morning I got up and went to the worship service at the church. The priest introduced me to the congregation and everyone was welcoming. Afterwards, I had lunch and the priest drove me back to the trail. As I got out, he offered to give me some money. I turned him down, he had already done so much for me. We parted as friends.
   Looking back on the experience at Buchanan (this post and the last two blog posts), I realize that my life was changed in just over 24 hours. I started out worried and anxious and mad that I couldn't get a ride into town. I prayed and God sent an "angel" to take me into town. Then God provided lunch, supper, breakfast, and lunch along with lodging for the night and a wonderful worship experience. God provided one of His servants to minister to me and show me unconditional love. It was a powerful transformation in my life. I knew that I would never be the same again. I was walking to Maine by myself, but I knew that God was walking right beside me all the way. That was a tremendous comfort!
   Here in 2011 I know that God is still with me. He comforts me and guides me every day. The things I learned on the trail and the experiences I had shaped me into who I am today. This morning I weighed in at 180.2 pounds. Eating has still been a problem and I have not exercised. Tomorrow morning is the 5K race for Henry County Cancer Services. Hopefully I will be able to run all the way. My leg feels much better, but I haven't tried to run for fear of re-injuring it again. If the run goes well tomorrow I hope to begin running regularly again. I just ate a bowl of strawberries, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment