Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rest for my weary bones!

   In 1980 when I made to Pearisburg, Virginia I was wiped out physically. This was one of two places on the trail where I did not receive a package with supplies. Instead, I went shopping in town and bought food & supplies. Usually I would reach a town in the late morning or early afternoon, resupply and leave the next afternoon. In Pearisburg I was so tired that I stayed two nights in the hiker hostel. One of those days I just laid around and did nothing but rest. I was one day ahead of schedule after doing 50 miles in two days.
   It's interesting to be in one place for a day with nothing to do. I washed my dishes in the sink, cleaned my other gear, ate a lot, and took a nap. I remember part of the hostel had an old brick floor. I sat at a table there and read a book. A house cat walked through and kept me company. It was quiet and peaceful. Sometimes in life you just need to rest and take a break. Your body needs it, your mind needs it, and your spirit needs it too. I was still committed to going all the way to Mt. Katahdin in Maine, but for that day I rested. If it's good enough for God when He created the Earth, it's good enough for me!
   Here in 2011, I weighed in at 179.2 pounds this morning. I have observed that I tend to put weight on when I eat out for special occasions (probably because the food is fattening & I tend to eat too much). I also have been able to lose that extra weight if I eat right the next day or two and drink lots of water. This is Memorial Day weekend. I hope to get some rest for my weary bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment