Friday, June 10, 2011

I Get "Adopted" By A Grandmother!

   When I woke up on that Sunday morning in Waynesboro, Va back in 1980 I packed up my stuff and went to find a church to attend. Since I was Episcopal at the time, I was able to find an Episcopal church. I entered and sat toward the back. The church building was old and traditional. Most people were wearing their "Sunday best" clothes. I was wearing my wool nickers, long wool socks, and my long sleeve wool shirt along with my hiking boots. It was the best I had to wear.
   The worship service was traditional and familiar. There was a special guest for the day, the Bishop! At the end of the service they announced that a reception would be held for the Bishop and that everyone was invited. Hmm.... reception = free food = show me the way!!! There I was at the reception eating a plate of goodies while most of the members of the church tried to ignore my presence. I was oblivious to the fact that I was probably not considered "good company" in that crowd! An elderly lady came to my rescue. She walked over and spoke with me for a long time. When she asked when I was going back to the trail I said "this afternoon."
   "That's a shame," she said. "I have a friend who is throwing a huge party this afternoon and I'm sure that you would enjoy it." It turns out that this "party" was a huge annual event held outside with square dancing, and lots of food. I hinted that I could delay my return to the trail and attend. The lady was genuinely happy and immediately "adopted" me for the day as her own. We went to the party and had a terrific time. We talked and laughed, and ate, and sang, and danced. I took off my heavy boots and tried to square dance barefooted for a long time. The ground was a bit rocky and I bruised my right foot, so I had to quit.
   By the time the party was over it was getting late and my new "grandmother" insisted that I come to her house for a steak dinner. That was followed by her insisting that I spend the night. She washed my clothes, and fed me as much as I wanted, and generally pampered me. It was wonderful. The next morning she fed me again (including some small steak pieces left over from the previous night). She drove me back to the trail and wished me well. As she drove off, I realized that I was no longer weary of hiking. If I continued to meet wonderful people like that lady then I knew I could continue on toward Maine. And so I entered the Shenandoah National Park on the Appalachian Trail, limping slightly from the bruise on my foot. I know that God works in many different ways. That lady (I don't even remember her name) was a tremendous blessing to me. She showed me the love of Jesus Christ in a real and tangible way. It's been 31 years, but I still remember. I have tried to pass that love on to others because I know how much it means!
  Here in 2011 I paid for eating at Cracker Barrel. This morning I weighed in at 178.6 pounds (that means I am going backwards!) It didn't help that I also ate a hot dog last night (*guilty*). I am going to run in the "Midnight Run for Missions" in Locust Grove tonight. It's a 5K race. If you have a grandmother, give her a hug today!

No comments:

Post a Comment