Sunday, April 12, 2020

40 Years Ago I Started Hiking the Appalachian Trail

Today is April 12, 2020. It is 40 years since I started hiking the Appalachian Trail! I remember that first day very well. It was raining. It rained every day the first week! I started at the top if the falls at Amicalola Falls. Back then there was a road to the top of the falls, but the lodge had not yet been built. I slogged through the rain with a heavy pack (40 pounds with one week's worth of food). I reached the top and saw the marker at the top of Springer. After a brief pause, I continued on until I reached the old shelter. It already had 9 people in it and I made it 10. Of that group, only one was on a short hike. The rest were going to Maine. All of that group made it to Maine, although a few didn't finish in 1980 and had to finish later. Since I was from Georgia, people started calling me "Georgia" and that was my trail name.
The Appalachian Trail changed me for the better. I learned to trust God in ways that I could never imagine. I learned to persevere in spite of difficult circumstances. I learned about the kindness and goodness of people. I was immersed in the beauty and majesty of God's amazing Creation. His Mountains are absolutely beautiful!
I had plans to hike to the top of Springer Mountain this week in remembrance of the 40th anniversary. Unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic is still going on and everyone is on lock down until the virus passes. I still plan on making the trip as soon as possible, hopefully this Spring. And I also plan to climb Mt. Katahdin, Maine in the late Summer. Every time I think of the Trail it brings a smile to my face. It changed me, and I'm glad it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment