Monday, September 5, 2011

My Night In A Vermont Homeless Shelter

   If you can remember, way back when I started hiking the trail I made a friend with Nancy Lee Read (whom I gave the trail name “Southern Belle”). Nancy Lee was from Vermont and she sent me a letter telling me about their hike and how it was going. She also told me when I got to Rutland Vermont that I should get off and go to her hometown. She had already talked with the Pastor of her church and let him know that I would be stopping through. He agreed to put me up for the night and share some hospitality.
   Sure enough, the trail crossed a road very near Rutland. So I went into town and found the church. It was a large, stone building. I asked to speak to the Pastor by his name and was ushered into a waiting area. After a little while I was allowed to enter his office. I told him who I was and that I was a friend of Nancy Lee Read. Yes, he recalled that she was on a big hiking trip. I mentioned that her letter said that perhaps I could spend the night somewhere in town. Certainly, he replied. If I would wait for a little while he would take care of me.
   I did wait for a while and the Pastor emerged with another man. We were briefly introduced and the Pastor said this man would take care of me for the evening. I thanked him for his assistance and went with the man. To be honest, I was expecting to perhaps stay at the home of a church member but the man took me to a homeless shelter for the night. I wasn’t really homeless, but it was too late in the day to find any other place to stay for the night. I reluctantly agreed to stay the night.
   Staying in a homeless shelter was quite a different experience. Most of the guys there were regulars and they knew the rules. They had to explain some of the rules to me and were surprised that I didn’t already know what I could do and what I couldn’t do. They served us a simple meal for supper. I got a bunk to sleep for the night. After a light breakfast in the morning I headed out to get back on the trail.
   A couple of weeks later Nancy Lee came into town. She stayed for a few days and saw many friends. She asked her Pastor about me and he told her that I had come through and he had sent me to the homeless shelter. She was shocked and horrified. Apparently the Pastor misunderstood her message about showing hospitality. Later she apologized to me for the mixup. I told her not to worry about it. Every experience on the trail was different. Staying in the homeless shelter was an eye-opening experience. It’s something that I will never forget.
   2011 Update:  Today I weighed in at 168.8 pounds. I’ve put on more than a pound from yesterday, but weight can vary from day to day. Right now I am eating a home made bean burrito. I went running this morning. My route through my entire neighborhood is 3.4 miles. I think I see a salad in my future!
   **P.S. I got an email today from Nancy Lee Read-Zeller. Yes, from the “Southern Belle” herself! We have not been in touch for a number of years. It’s good to hear from an old friend. She and her family are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment