Monday, July 4, 2011

The Independence Day Slackpacker

   Back in 1980 I remember celebrating Independence Day (4th of July) on the Appalachian Trail. I was at a shelter with several other hikers. We laughed and joked and had a good time. One of the guys at the shelter was a thru-hiker but he was doing something unusual. He was "slackpacking". Perhaps you remember my writing about a guy called "O.D. Coyote" who I called "the king of slackpacking." O.D. was going extremely slow. The guy I met on July 4th was actually walking a lot of miles per day. BUT, he had his girlfriend drive up and meet him.
   The girlfriend was driving a "recreational vehicle" a.k.a. "RV" or "Camper". It had a small kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, living room, and air conditioning! This stretch of the Appalachian Trail was in the woods, but it often crossed roads. This hiker would spend the night in the RV and then hike for the entire day without carrying his backpack (that stayed in the RV with his girlfriend). Every night they would meet at a road crossing and he would spend another night in the RV. They had plans for about two weeks worth of this until she had to go back home.
   The idea of hiking without a heavy backpack was very appealing to me (and all of the other hikers). Certainly he carried a small bag with water, food, rain poncho, and some basic emergency items. But all of the things for sleeping and shelter and cooking were riding comfortably along in the RV. Those were the heavy things. I would gladly trade a 40 pound pack for a 3 pound fanny pack! I guess it brings to mind the whole concept of "independence". While we were celebrating the freedom of our nation, he was also celebrating freedom from his burdensome backpack (even if only temporarily)!

  Here in 2011:  I weighed in at 173.8 pounds this morning, that is a loss of 13 POUNDS! ((*** FIREWORKS***)). That is a cause for celebration! The big salad last night was delicious. The handful of corn chips as a snack before bedtime was great. I had two bean burritos for lunch today. This morning I hoed in the garden for a long time, then cut the grass and did some other yard work. Last night I took the dog for a walk. When she had had enough of walking I dropped her off at the house and kept walking. I covered most of the route that I usually jog on, but I was walking. The good news is that my leg did not hurt. I'm not going to over do it with my leg, but I hope to get back to jogging soon. I'm considering getting some new running shoes (my old ones are almost worn out). That might help keep me from getting injured again. I'm excited about my progress, and I am NOT hungry. I'm celebrating my "independence" from 13 extra pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment