Tuesday, June 21, 2011

You Ate An Entire What?!!

   Finally summer arrived on the Appalachian Trail back in 1980. I was in southern Pennsylvania at the time, so the heat wasn't too bad. The trail passed through a park called "Pine Grove Forest". In the park was a small general store that catered to both tourists and thru-hikers. When I entered the store I noticed small cardboard pieces hanging from the ceiling with names written on them. I asked the clerk what they were and he replied that they were the names of the hikers who joined the "half gallon club". Half gallon club? What was that? Then I found out that hikers had eaten an entire half gallon of ice cream in one sitting!
   Now, I like a challenge. And (at that time) I liked ice cream....especially chocolate! So I plunked down my money and bought an entire half gallon of plain chocolate ice cream. The clerk handed me a large metal spoon and wished me good luck. I sat down on the front steps and began to attack the ice cream. Pennsylvania is known for many things. But the South Central section is particularly know for dairy products and ice cream. After all, Mr. Hershey located his manufacturing plant in this section of the country because it was located near so many dairy farms!
   Have you ever eaten an ENTIRE half gallon of ice cream all at once? Well...it takes some time. But I was able to cram the last few bites into my mouth and declared victory! The store clerk directed me to the wash room where I carefully washed out the sticky stuff left over inside the carton. With large scissors we cut out one of the sides of the box and I wrote my name on it. This trophy took it's place next to the others hanging from the ceiling! I cut up the rest of the box and made several post cards (which I wrote on and mailed to friends and family). In the end I put my backpack on and waddled down the trail, still wiping chocolate from my face. Life was good. If only my right foot would stop hurting so much. You would think that bruising it back in Waynesboro more than a week ago wouldn't still hurt. Well, time to make more progress on the trail!
   Speaking of progress, this morning (in 2011) I weighed in at 176.4 pounds. Jogging is helping, but my calf muscles still get tight even though I stretch and stretch and stretch! I bought a banana and ate it today. I heard that potasium can cause leg cramps and bananas are full of potasium. We will see if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment