Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Damascus Road Experience: Not Giving Up

   In 1980 when I returned to the hiker hostel in Damascus I was wiped out. I had to explain to some of the other hikers why I was back, because some of them had seen me leave early that morning. I took some time just to rest and recuperate from the near disaster on the top of Mt Rogers. I think I stayed in the hostel about a day (but I don't remember the details). What I do remember is that I got a ride from a church member back to the trail. He dropped me off on the other side of Mt. Rogers. This day was clear and warm, a stark contrast to the storm I faced on the summit. I went a short distance into the woods and stashed my pack. Then I hiked up the other side of Mt Rogers, determined to reach the gravel road again.
   After a long climb, the trail went above tree line. then I saw a small wooden post with two white blazes on it (that means the trail is getting ready to turn). There was a turn, onto the gravel road! I had made it back to the summit again. I looked around for a while and tried to recognize landmarks or other things that would be familiar, but after a short walk down the gravel road I realized that it was pointless. So I turned around to retrace my steps. I found out why I missed the turn off the road the first time. The marker was small and hard to see in the daylight, let alone at night in the middle of a storm! I hiked back down the other side of the mountain, retrieved my backpack, and continued North on the Appalachian Trail. I was almost defeated by Mt. Rogers, but I had faced my fears and (with God's help) survived. I had many more miles to go, and I wasn't going to give up.
   Here in 2011 I weighed in today at 181.6 pounds. This morning my daughter asked me how much weight I had lost and how long it had been. I realized that it was 5.2 pounds in about 5 weeks. The entire Appalachian Trail hike was 21 weeks. I'm trying to lose 21.8 pounds in that same time period. An average of one pound per week lost is just what I need to meet my goal. Thanks for reading & encouraging me. Perhaps you have a goal in your life. How are you going to accomplish your goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment