Monday, June 27, 2011

The Salvation Army

   It's one thing to befriend a hiker and feed him a meal. It is something else to provide a place for him to recuperate from an injury. Back in 1980 I didn't expect the lady that helped me (I think her last name was Farley) to do anything special. All I really needed was a place to setup camp and rest for a few days, hoping to get back on the trail again. After feeding me, it now became a question of what to do with me. Mr. Farley was a high school chemistry teacher and had the summer off from teaching school. They had a precious little boy that was about four years old. It turned out that Mr. & Mrs. Farley had tickets to see a play and had already lined up a babysitter for their son. It was obvious that I would have to find someplace else to stay.
   Mrs. Farley spoke with her husband and did some calling on the phone. Late that afternoon I found myself in her car, driving toward the Salvation Army. She dropped me off and promised to come pick me up again in the morning. I thanked her and assured her that she didn't have to do any more, but she insisted that she would be there to get me in the morning. I limped into the Salvation Army building, thankful for people who were willing to help me in my time of need. I reminded me of Matthew 25:35-36

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’


I met the criteria of hungry, thirsty, stranger, and sick (injured)! A lot of people don't know that the Salvation Army is actually a church. They run thrift stores and collect money at Christmas time, but they also run shelters for people who are down on their luck. I was now in one of their shelters. It was a simple place. I had supper with all of the other men who were in the shelter. We slept in bunk beds. It was a different world to be in the midst of drunks and drifters and other people in need. The staff members were polite and caring people. As I drifted off to sleep I was thankful. Thankful that I was safe. Thankful that I had food to eat. Thankful for a bed to sleep in. Thankful for the Farleys and the Salvation Army. And thankful for God's provision for a weary, injured traveler.
   Here in 2011 I weighed in at 176.2 pounds. After 11 weeks I have lost 10.6 pounds which is slightly below my goal of one pound per week. I'm still not jogging but my calf muscle is somewhat improved. I have been eating salads again. I'm not sure what to do for exercise. I may have to go out and weed the garden later (hoe, hoe hoe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment