Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The love and hospitality of strangers is something that I would never forget!

   After resting my injured foot for a few days back in 1980, it was time to get back on the trail. Mrs. Farley was concerned about my safety, but I assured her that I would take care of myself. She drove me back to the place where I had left the trail and dropped me off. She had tears in her eyes as she waved goodbye. I had truly been blessed by her and her family while I recuperated.
   I was now in the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania. Back in 1980 there was a long stretch of the trail that followed paved roads (I believe most of that is now in the woods). Hiking along a paved road in the summer wasn't too bad. The temperature was nothing like the heat I knew back in Georgia. I walked carefully and used my hiking staff to take some of the pressure off of my right foot. The thick pad that the doctors had given me was a good cushion. I stopped often to rest, determined not to over-do it.
   As the day began to close, I was still on the road, not sure where I would spend the night. A car pulled up to me and a woman rolled down her window. She was the pastor of a nearby church (I'm not sure what denomination, perhaps Lutheran? She was wearing the "dog collar" shirt like a priest). She told me that I would never make it to the farm where the trail went back into the woods by nightfall. I explained that I was walking slow because of an injury. That's when she offered for me to camp inside their church building.
   That night I spread my sleeping bag on the floor of a Sunday School room. The pastor let me borrow the phone in her office for a few minutes. I called Mrs. Farley to tell here that I was ok. At first she was frantic on the other end and just "knew" that she would have to come pick me up again. I assured her that I was ok and let her know where I was. I know that she appreciated my calling. I was glad that there were people in this world who genuinely care about others! God was continuing to look out for me and provide for me on my journey. The love and hospitality of strangers is something that I would never forget!
   Here in 2011 I weighed in at 174.4 pounds. I finally finished fixing my old Mazda (it's back on the road again). I can stand on my leg just fine, but I can't walk long distances. I went to the grocery store with my wife and had to go to the car and rest after a trip all the way around the building. Rest for my leg is best. Diet will have to do for now until I can exercise again.

No comments:

Post a Comment